The summer exchange program is open for all Finnish and Estonian students. The participants are screened and chosen on the basis of their motivation, personal merits, and character. Selected candidates are typically relatively good at school, they are flexible in new situations, ready to speak in front of others, are able to handle stress and are independent. Student selection is based on the application and an interview.
The summer exchange program is intended for students aged between 14 and 19 (you have had your 15th birthday before the exchange begins and you will not yet be 20 during the period of the exchange).
The host family provides free room and board. In turn, the student coming to Finland is treated in the same way by the Finnish host family.
Costs for the summer exchange student:
• Application fee to Suomen Rotary ry (Rotary Finland) is 350€.
• Travel expenses to the destination (USA, Canada and Mexico 1000-2000€, Europe 300-500€).
• Travel insurance 50–200 €
• Training events in Finland about 50€ plus travel expenses.
• Country program in New York approx. 1.330€. Where the country program is arranged, it is an integral part of the summer exchange program and participation is therefore compulsory.
Summer exchange students going to Brazil can, if they wish, travel together with the long-term exchange group. In this case, however, the summer exchange student must, participate in the country program arranged for the long-term exchange students. Mere travel with the long-term students is not allowed.
The application fee of 200€ for the Summer Exchange is paid to the following account:
Receiver: SUOMEN ROTARY RY / NUORISOVAIHTO
Account Number: (IBAN) FI96 2001 1800 1502 97
Top of page
You hand in your application by mid October in the year preceding the intended summer exchange
1. Contact a local Rotary club and ask if it is possible to participate in the summer exchange program. Contact information for all the Rotary clubs in the six Finnish Rotary districts can be found by district wise at the Rotary Finland web site www.rotary.fi (click ”Piiritjaklubit”) or use the Internet web browser.
2. Write an application in your own words (one sheet) to the club. Tell about yourself, your family and your motives for participating in this exchange program. Do not forget your contact information!
3. The sponsoring club then interviews the candidates and their families before the final selection is made.
4. Following discussions, the sponsoring Rotary district accepts the candidates that the clubs have selected.
5. After you have been accepted, you fill in the Summer Exchange Program commitment form together with the club representative. There you are asked to fill in six destination countries, to which you commit yourself to go. At the same time, you should pay the application fee. The commitment form should be given to the club and the fee paid to Suomen Rotary ry by the end of November.
6.After the Rotary district has accepted you as a candidate, you fill in the proper application form. The form should be handed to the club by the end of December.
7.Rotary summer exchange correspondents then designate the destination countries for the candidates and contact you during the spring.
Confirmation of the exchange can sometimes arrive in late spring.
During the spring preceding the exchange, training events are arranged for all outbound exchange students. These events are part of the exchange program and are thus compulsory for all outbound students. The exact dates for the training events and other important dates are to be found in the Rotary Youth Exchange Calendar at www.rye.fi/calendar.
Top of page